Diary of an Amateur Wheel Builder

Is it as difficult & expensive to build bicycle wheels as it's often made out to be? Let's find out... my goal is to build some LBS-quality wheels at or below mail order prices!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

20 Wheel Building Dos & Don’ts

Well, twenty four actually, but I’ve paired some up:

  1. DO begin with the finished article in mind;
  2. DO be a competent amateur bicycle mechanic in the first place;
  3. DO read all that you can, at least twice;
  4. DON’T listen to well-intentioned idiots on web forums;
  5. DO make up your own mind about the various wheel building myths;
  6. DON’T get distracted by non-standard wheel configurations to start with;
  7. DO know the real value of components;
  8. DON’T confuse cost with quality, nor cheapness with value;
  9. DON’T take the reviews in the cycling press at face value;
  10. DO decide what you are prepared to pay for each part and stick to it rigidly;
  11. DO haggle, directly but politely, but DON’T be afraid to walk away;
  12. DO be prepared to miss out on a deal, there will be another along soon;
  13. DON’T pay over the odds just because a required item is scarce;
  14. DO search out discontinued products that have simply been rebranded;
  15. DO be prepared to sell your old wheels to offset against the cost of the new;
  16. DO use the proper tools and work in a quiet place, free from distractions;
  17. DO have a drink, but DON’T get sloshed;
  18. DON’T try to finish a wheel in one sitting: DO know when to walk away;
  19. DON’T expect to get it 100% right first time and DO be prepared to retrace several steps when you make a mistake (and you probably will!);
  20. DO expect to ultimately finish up with better wheels at a lower price than you will get almost anywhere else!

A final word, courtesy of Her Majesty’s SAS: “Proper Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance”!

2 Comments:

At 23 August, 2006 15:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

I came across your blog because I noticed a couple of referers apearing in the wheelpro.co.uk server logs. The referers have since dried up and I hope there are more people than me and Brant reading because it's very good. It reminded me of my learning curve many (many) years ago back in my cycling days and the quest for wheels that just worked. It looks like you are reaching the end of the building stage and are generally summing up so I thought it's about time I broke cover. I hope you liked my tome and managed to decipher my less that Shakespearean prose. Actually yours is the best feedback I've had since I rarely get any email questions and generally pick up my feedback from forum posts (server logs are great). If you have any questions about the content of the book and why I did things the way I did then I'd be pleased to answer them.

Regards
Roger

PS here's a Don't...

Don't turn wheelbuilding into a commercial venture. Been there, done it and got several Tee shirts (plus a couple of caps, some socks! and a pen from Mavic). There are easier ways of earning no money.

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:56, Blogger Mike P said...

Hi Roger, thanks very much for your post! Bearing in mind your last comment what's the story behind your recent update to www.wheelpro.co.uk? Very intriguing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home