Diary of an Amateur Wheel Builder

Is it as difficult & expensive to build bicycle wheels as it's often made out to be? Let's find out... my goal is to build some LBS-quality wheels at or below mail order prices!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Reading Material

You can’t read up enough on subjects about which you wish to learn and form your own views. The more varied and different perspectives you seek out, even if you know you’ll disagree with them from the outset, the more likely you are to come to the correct conclusion. My experience thus far with regard to wheel building books bears this out. It helps if, like me, you’re an opinionated git to start with!

I started with Sheldon Brown’s guide to wheel building, which you can find for free on his frankly extraordinary website (just go and spend some time looking around there!). I used this exclusively when building my first two wheels and found that it provides a good grounding on the basics. It enabled me to lace the wheels well enough, but I have found subsequently (through further reading rather than bitter experience, fortunately!) that it was woefully inadequate in its description of the latter stages of building, especially with regard to obtaining the correct spoke tension. It may have been updated subsequently, but I’ve not gone back to check and neither shall I. I would, however, recommend it as the first thing that a first-timer should read – just don’t make it the only thing!

Next up I came across Wheelpro, or to give him his real name, Roger Musson. He was for years the pro-wheel builder for the MBUK downhill MTB team (presumably before it became the sorry excuse of a “lifestyle” mag it is today) before giving it all up and writing all his know-how down in a book, “A Practical Guide to Wheel Building”, which we can buy on-line in handy .PDF format for $9 (or a little over £5 in real money). His use of English can be poor and consequently it doesn’t read that well at times, which very quickly begins to grate. But we’re not buying it for the delicacy of his Shakespearean prose and we’re not paying for a team of proof readers and publishers, so it’s churlish to complain about that too much! Most importantly, what it does contain is the best most practical step-by-step guide to building a wheel that I have yet read. There are also tips for making your own tools, for little hassle and practically no money. For £5 you can’t go wrong – buy it. I printed it out on double sided A4 and ring-bound it with a PVC cover so that it will last.

I’ve just finished reading “The Art of Wheel Building” by Gerd Schraner (also sold as DT Prosline guide to wheel building, but it’s the same thing). Schraner is a good deal older than Musson and his book provides an interesting counter point to Musson’s as his techniques clearly owe more to tradition rather than to what is strictly required when using components designed and made using modern manufacturing techniques and tolerances (Musson’s words!). For example, unless I’ve done something wrong (nothing is apparent!) Schraner’s sequence for the initial lacing of the spokes simply doesn’t work with MTB disc hubs, and I can’t see how it would work with any other sort of hub either. He laces all the spokes on one side before doing the inside spokes on the other, which means you can’t push this set through without bending them. However his method for tensioning a significantly dished wheel seems so obviously superior to Musson’s that this is what I’ll probably use first of all and see if it pays.

Musson emphasises that spoke quality is paramount, whereas Schraner says it’s all about the rims (but then he’s being paid to use DT spokes, so for him spoke quality is a given). I disagree with both of them. The quality of ALL the components is paramount. After all, it’s not as though you can simply swap out your hub at a later date if you find it’s not up to your requirements! The biggest issue I have with Schraner is that the book just rambles on, whereas Musson stops and emphasises the key points and describes very clearly what you should be doing. Furthermore, Musson provides a final step-by-step checklist (with page references) which is such a simple thing to insert, yet Schraner has omitted one completely. If you really want it then by all means buy Schraner’s book, but with the possible exception of his rear wheel tensioning method I think it’s crap. And make sure you shop around because prices vary enormously.

The other mainstream book I’ve come across, and perhaps the best known, is “The Bicycle Wheel” by Jobst Brandt, but I’ve not yet read it as it’s practically impossible to get hold of. If you’ve got a copy that you’d like to sell then get in touch!

5 Comments:

At 19 December, 2006 21:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i just used schraner's method to lace up a rear MTB wheel with a disc hub. it was my first wheel with this book, so, i just jumped right in and was very happy until i found myself with a fully-laced right side and no obvious way to lace the head-out/elbow-in spokes on the left side. panic. i was stunned that the lacing instructions would result in such a predicament! your post is the only text i've found on the web to bring this up; i thought i must be losing my mind. in the end, my spokes (14/15 guage swaged) were flexible enough to bend around the right-hand-side spokes, but, it was very psychically painful and time-consuming. i'll be going back to the jobst/sheldon/"classic" lacing method from now on, as i just can't understand why anyone would lace a wheel this way and subject their spokes to such torture!!

 
At 14 January, 2007 14:41, Blogger Mike P said...

Thanks for your post Natalia! I couldn't agree with you more. Roger Musson's spoking method works very well, and I'd recommend his Wheelpro guide in addition to Brandt and Sheldon without hesitation. Just Google "wheelpro".

 
At 13 July, 2007 14:09, Blogger Bill Slabonik said...

Thanks for the blog. I agree with you concerning Roger's guide to building wheels. I have built a dozen using his checklist without any problems.
Bill

 
At 11 June, 2008 19:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helpful blog posting, thanks. I'm just looking into wheel building for the first time and had no idea which book to go for.

 
At 12 November, 2009 22:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an owner of Gerd Schraner's "The Art of Wheelbuilding" I have no problem lacing a wheel using his method, and it's the only way I will, as it's much simpler than any other method I have seen to date. I've built disc wheels, track wheels, road wheels (including using the White Industries H2 which has a very small non-drive flange vs drive side). I have never had a significant problem.

The way to get your head-out spokes in using Schraner's method of lacing is simply push apart the drive-side spokes until you have enough room. It really is that simple.

How do you think you'd replace a broken spoke in an already built and tensioned wheel?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home