Diary of an Amateur Wheel Builder

Is it as difficult & expensive to build bicycle wheels as it's often made out to be? Let's find out... my goal is to build some LBS-quality wheels at or below mail order prices!

Friday, August 25, 2006

Time out

Until I’ve ridden my XT/F519 wheels over a good few hundred miles or until I get around to building my second XT/Sun CR18 wheelset I’ve pretty much run out of stuff to post in this blog! So, unless there appears from out of nowhere a sudden rush of contributions by way of comments under any of my previous daily postings, things will now go quiet here for the next few weeks or so.

Some folk have asked about pictures, which is a very good point and something that I aim to get around to in the meantime. It’s not that I don’t have lots of piccies to publish, it’s just that posting pictures on www.blogger.com requires a bit of HTML knowledge which I don’t really have. In any case, even if I was a web-publishing god (obviously, I’m not) it’s not something that I could do from a commuter train, so they’ll appear as and when I can fit it in around work, family and play. But it’ll probably happen sometime!

If you’re temped to have a go at building your own wheels, now’s the ideal time to do something about it. September always sees the cycling retailers put on huge sales to clear out their old stock in preparation for the new season’s goodies and Christmas, and already there are some super bargains to be had. I’ve got my eye on a few bits and bobs myself, but more because I’m easily tempted than because I really need them, but I’m tempted nevertheless. It’s actually quite easy for the amateur wheel builder because the hardest parts to source are spokes, and until the UK retailers wake up and smell the coffee anyone with any sense will buy their spokes from www.rose.de, which just leaves us to find the rims and hubs domestically.

I urge you to have a look around – currently you can buy a pair of Mavic F519 rims for under £40 and a pair of XT hubs also for under £40, both brand new from on-line retailers, so just imagine what could be negotiated on Ebay! Add £15 for spokes from Rose and you’ll be able to build a fantastic pair of wheels for far less than even Chain Reaction will sell them, just like I have been able to. What are you waiting for? GO FOR IT! And don’t forget to tell us all about it.

6 Comments:

At 29 August, 2006 13:30, Blogger orion said...

Hi Mike

Just to say thanks for the blog, great idea, and I've just passed an hour reading the whole thing. I've been wondering whether it'd be possible to build my own wheels for a while now, about the only part of a bike I don't know what to do with! When I've got the time I'll be picking up some of the stuff on your resources list and giving it a go.

If it's helpful, I find the easiest way to post pictures to my blog (no html needed) is directly from flickr.com, which also stores your photos.

Thanks again!

 
At 14 January, 2007 14:43, Blogger Mike P said...

Hi Orion, thanks for the FLICKR tip, I must make some time to update this blog!

Let us know who you got on with your wheel build!

 
At 19 February, 2007 16:57, Blogger The MTB compendium said...

Hi Mike,

An excellent blog, and one that although has a lot of words, is well worth taking the time to read... other than being quite hilarious too!

I was wondering (this may already be in your blog though, so i apologise if it is) about what equipment are you using to build the wheels? Oh, and i gather by you mentioning WheelPro, that you are using their book for initial tips?

Thanks for the blog, and i shall keep reading it.

Chris

 
At 20 February, 2007 09:59, Blogger Mike P said...

Hi Chris, tools are discussed here:

http://wheelbuilder.blogspot.com/2006/08/tooling-up.html

I use the Wheelpro guide pretty much exclusively now. While it's not the definitive guide it does contain everything you need to know in order to build decent quality wheels, without going off at tangents. It's only a fiver or so, and worth every penny.

 
At 22 February, 2007 21:18, Blogger The MTB compendium said...

Hi Mike, and thanks for the link.

I have looked on the WheelPro website, and noticed that you could buy the updated version (of the info from what was the book) in PDF form for about £9. Seems a good idea, although it appears to not be there now - just the spoke calculator. Shame!

Another thing which seems interesting, is that even though Roger Musson mentions in a comment on this very blog, that having a wheel business isn't profitable, he is making a return! Perhaps that's a good thing for you Mike? Maybe your business idea may work? I shall have my fingers crossed for you :0)

Chris

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:43, Blogger Mike P said...

Well I never... wonder why he removed the option to buy the guide? It used to be $9 via PayPal, which worked out at about £5.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home