Diary of an Amateur Wheel Builder

Is it as difficult & expensive to build bicycle wheels as it's often made out to be? Let's find out... my goal is to build some LBS-quality wheels at or below mail order prices!

Friday, January 19, 2007

Coming up…

It’s time to revive the Diary, I think! Six months have passed since my wheel building quest began and since my last post back in August 2006 I’ve been up to a few other things that have kept the wheel building and blogging on hold.

The pair of wheels that I built back in the summer, the all-purpose “utility” set consisting of Mavic F519 rims, Shimano XT disc hubs and DT Competition spokes, is still going strong and I’ll provide a medium term report on them next week.

I’ve not yet got around to building the second set, the “budget” set for Mrs P’s bike consisting of Sun CR18 rims, Shimano XT disc hubs and DT Competition spokes. This is principally because I haven’t been bothered enough but they wouldn’t have been used until this coming spring in any case. Mrs P is not exactly a keen rider and the only time she’d go out on a bike was if it wasn’t muddy or raining and if we could bring the kids along for the ride too! Our youngest won’t be a year old until April, so he’s only been able to ride in a kiddie seat for a couple of months or so. However with spring only another couple of months away and with about £125 worth of wheels to sell when I get the new ones built – that’s £125 to spend on some new project – it’s high time they were assembled! Look out for updates over the next few weeks.

One project that was but the germ of an idea back in August has come to fruition unexpectedly quickly: that being a flip/flop rear wheel for use on the singlespeed. Ideally I would liked to have built it myself, I was fortunate enough to spot such a wheel being sold second hand in the STW classifieds which fitted my own specification almost exactly – a Goldtec flip/flop hub mated to a Mavic XM719 rim with DT Champion spokes and including 16 & 17 tooth freewheels, all for £55. The cost of the individual parts alone is about £140 and the shop that built it would probably have added at least another £20 for putting them all together! I’ve not even test-ridden it yet, and I’ll expand on what I’m going to do with this wheel in a future post.

Also still on my “to do” list is the re-tensioning of my lightweight Hope/XC717 wheels that were so badly built by Chain Reaction, and the dismantling of my very first wheel building attempt, a Hope/X221 mish-mash. My aim is to get all this done before spring is sprung.

2 Comments:

At 19 February, 2007 11:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So CRC are not building decent wheels then? Would appreciate some insight as I am about to order some King/DT Swiss custom wheelbuilds from them.

 
At 19 February, 2007 11:35, Blogger Mike P said...

Hi Matthew, I wouldn't go quite that far but the quality of their work is certainly inconsistent and I won't be buying any more of their wheels.

Personally I've bought two wheelsets from them: a Hope XC/Mavic XC717d/DT Rev combo that were out of true when I received them, had spoke tension all over the place and pinged like mad when first ridden; and a DMR Revolver/DT EX5.1d/DT Comp combo that turned out fine.

It's worth noting that when ordering the second set I included a foot note threatening to send them straight back if they were in any way less than perfect. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that CRC have maybe one good wheelbuilder and it's pot-luck as to whether he builds your wheels or not.

Either way, the feller who built my Hope/Mavic set shouldn't be let loose with anything more complicated than a hex wrench!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home